Taking inspiration from one of the nation’s favourite sandwiches, our friends at Great British Chefs have created this chicken BLT topping for our Spelt & Poppy Seed sourdough crispbreads. Adding the roasting juices from the chicken to the mayonnaise gives this classic sandwich filler an extra level of flavour.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 12 Peter’s Yard Spelt & Poppy Seed sourdough crispbreads
- 3 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in
- 3 tbsp of mayonnaise
- 1 baby gem lettuce, washed, dried and shredded
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 6 basil leaves, torn
- 3 rashers of streaky bacon
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Place the chicken thighs in a roasting tray big enough to fit the chicken and bacon. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add the bacon to the tray then return it to the oven and cook for another 5 minutes, or until crisp.
- Place the mayonnaise in a medium-sized bowl. Remove the tray from the oven and pour all of the excess juices and fat into the mayonnaise. Whisk to emulsify. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Once cool enough to handle, pull the chicken off the bone and roughly chop. Place the meat into a bowl with the chopped lettuce, tomatoes and basil.
- Pat the bacon with kitchen roll to remove any excess grease, then chop into little pieces.
- Assemble the crispbreads on plates and top with a generous spoonful of the chicken mixture. Finish them off with a sprinkling of crunchy bacon bits and serve.
Recipe courtesy of www.greatbritishchefs.com