Michelin-starred chef Paul Welburn created this stunning beetroot and goat’s cheese canapé recipe with our Spelt & Fig sourdough crispbreads. While this recipe is involved, all of the elements can be made in advance meaning all you’ve got to do on the day is assemble them, and the flavours are worth the advanced effort.
Makes 35 canapés
Cooking time: 60 minutes
For the beetroot jam:
- 150g of red onion
- 250g of beetroot, finely diced
- 110g of sugar
- 250ml of red wine vinegar
- 110ml of red wine
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 5 juniper berries, crushed
For the whipped goat’s cheese:
- 125g of goat’s cheese
- 50g of cream cheese
- smoked salt, to taste
For the chive mayonnaise:
- 1 bunch of chives
- 200g of mayonnaise
- 35 Peter’s Yard Spelt and Fig sourdough crispbreads
- 40g of pine nuts
- chopped chives
- Place all the ingredients for the beetroot jam into a pan and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer and slowly reduce until a thick, jammy consistency is achieved. Leave to cool.
- Mix the goat’s cheese with the cream cheese, whisk until light and fluffy and then season with smoked salt. Transfer to a piping bag.
- Toast the pine nuts in a hot dry pan until golden.
- Finely chop the chives and stir through the mayonnaise. Taste, season and transfer to a piping bag.
- To assemble the canapés, first spoon a layer of the beetroot onto each crispbread. Pipe over dots of the goat’s cheese, then smaller dots of the chive mayonnaise. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and finish with finely chopped chives.
Recipe courtesy of Great British Chefs.